Friday, October 12, 2007

Sultan of Speed

Yesterday I provided a few excerpts describing the duel between Stadler and McCormack. Today, let's find out what Faris Al Sultan has to say about McCormack and the drama.

[From September issue of Triathlete]

Tri mag: After the Hawaii Ironman dust-up involving you and Normann vs. NcCormack, there was another episode that took place at a short-course race in Dubai, UAE. It's his contention that he attempted to approach you and bury the hatchet but that you were unresponsive to him.

Al Sultan: To be honest, I don't speak to him anymore, and I didn't speak to him in Dubai. After the race in Dubai, he wrote an article on Xtri.com, and every word he wrote there was wrong. After I read that article, I thought, "This guy is sick. He has a problem."

Tri mag: Will you speak to him at all leading up to Hawaii or will you simply keep your distance?

Al Sultan: I don't want to speak to him. As I said, I think that he has a problem and I don't think there will be a reason for me to speak to him.

Tri mag: Does all the fracas with Macca trouble or motivate you for the race?

Al Sultan: I don't need that kind of excitement. The races where I focus on one other person to beat didn't go well. I'll focus on myself and having a good race. The more I focus on myself, the better it will be.

Pros go off at 6:45 am, age groupers at 7 am. The stage is set for a showdown between Stadler, McCormack, and Al Sultan.

No comments: