Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Training Paradise

Kona is no joke. Hundreds of athletes in the water by 6 am, the rest of them are either riding along Queek K or running along Alii Drive. A training paradise, but dangerous since it's taper week and you could easily get caught up in all the hype and excitement and plan on an easy ride up to the Energy Lab and end up in Hawi.

I came out here with my sister's husband, a Hawaii Ironman veteran. Dan Knepper competed in 2002 and was a great tour guide on today's ride. First up on the agenda, a ride up to the Energy Lab then back along Alii Drive to get familiar with the marathon course. After a quick snack, it was off for a 30 min swim with the fishies. Didn't see any turtles, but plenty of tropical fish.

Highlight of the day was running into Michellie Jones in our hotel after packet pickup. No pictures, I'll try and work my way into a photo op if I get another opportunity.

No comments: